Match Report – 4th September 2021 Bicester Hallions v Garsington



For their first ever premier division fixture the Hallions entertained Garsington at the Ashdene Road Superbowl.

Despite the absence of several players through injury, holidays and suspension the Hallions were optimistic of getting a good start to the campaign.

Both teams were greeted with a perfect playing surface which would hopefully allow the teams to provide the crowd with a quality game.

The game started at a frantic pace with the visitors gaining the upper hand through the dangerous wingers Lewis and Joe Ryan.

In the 5th minute the speedy Joe Ryan outpaced the Hallions defence but keeper Reece Green bravely blocked his goal bound effort before the same player squandered a clear opportunity from the rebound. Gradually the Hallions got to a foot hold with both Piers McGlynn and Dan Bone going close.

Then in the 25th minute Garsingtons keeper Liam Smith pulled off a great save to foil a Piers McGlynn effort, followed by a Ryan Brooks strike flying narrowly wide of the target.

The deadlock was broken in the 30th minute when Garsington conceded a soft free kick on the edge of their penalty area. Up stepped free kick specialist Jamie Mundy to hit a tremendous shot which flew past keeper Smith to give the Hallions a deserved lead.

With half time looming the home team seemed to ease off and allowed their opponents to exert a lot of pressure allowing striker Sam Wharton the opportunity to fire in what looked like a certain goal in the 42nd minute, until Hallions keeper Reece Green pulled off a breath-taking save at the expense of a corner. However, from the resulting corner Callum Stubbs hit a real steamer which whistled into the net for a Garsington equaliser.

There was still time for Reece Green to pull off another great save to stop Joe Ryan from giving the visitors the lead.

HT 1-1

With game poised at 1-1 the crowd were anticipating a ding dong second half, however the Hallions went through the gears and basically put the game out of Garsingtons reach within minutes of the restart.

In the 50th minute debutant Jack Finlinson found Dan Bone who in turn put the alert Ryan Brooks clear, and not surprising calmly netted to give the Hallions the lead, once again.

Minutes later a brilliant bullet header from another new boy Michael Hicks via a Liam Godin cross increased the advantage.

Hicksy then forced keeper Smith into a full length save the Hallions went on the rampage.

Then in the 69th minute quality play by Stu Bridges saw Dan Bone neatly lay off the ball to Ryan Brooks who side stepped the keeper for number four.

In the 73rd minute that man Brooksy fired in a volley from 18 yards following yet another Stu Bridges through ball to complete his hat trick.

With the Hallions now in cruise control another pinpoint Jamie Mundy corner in the 85th minute saw Dan Bone rise above the visiting defence to net a fine goal.

A great all-round team performance by the Hallions in beating a Garsington team were more than equal to them in the first 45 minutes.

FT 6-1

Official: Jonathan Boyce

MOM:  Reece Green

Hallions Team: Reece Green. Liam Godin. Wayne Blosssom. Chris Schooling. Jack Finlinson. Michael Hicks. Stuart Bridges [Capt.] Piers McGlynn. Jamie Mundy. Ryan Brooks. Dan Bone.

Subs Played – Keelan Cronin. Lewis Bland. Callum Tighe.

Scorers: Ryan Brooks [3] Michael Hicks. Jamie Mundy. Dan Bone.


Garsington Team: Liam Smith. Dan Chalmers. Brad Dolton [Capt.]. Cian Gaul. Joe Gaul. Ollie Ludlow. Finley Ludlow. Callum Stubbs. Lewis Ryan. Joe Ryan. Sam Wharton.

Subs Played: Lee Moseley. Elliston Coble. Adrian Babei.

Scorers: Callum Stubbs

Share Now

Related Post