Match Report – Bicester Hallions v Kennington 11th September 2021



On a surprisingly sunny afternoon the Hallions entertained Kennington Athletic looking to continue their impressive form of the previous week.

As usual despite a couple of late withdrawals which didn’t help the pre match preparations, the team still looked more than capable of getting a positive result.

However, it was Kennington who started on the front foot with a in swinging corner from James Smith flying across the face of the Hallions goal, before going harmlessly wide.

With neither team in real control, it was the Hallions who broke the deadlock in the 12th minute.

Ryan Brooks broke clear on the left flank, outpacing a static Kennington defence before crossing to the onrushing Jamie Mundy who volleyed home past stranded keeper Matty Hutton. Back came the visitors with the dangerous Smith supplying another quality corner kick, which fell to Josh Nicholls whose effort was easily saved by home keeper Reece Green.

Hallions replied with a flying Wayne Blossom header going narrowly wide of its intended target.

Kennington were then reduced to 10 players for a period as Rob Cattell was sin binned and things didn’t improve for the visitors when in the 23rd minute netted a fine solo goal to increase the Hallions advantage.

As the half progressed the visitors seemed to lose their way as the Hallions were in total control of the proceedings.

In the 34th minute a tremendous clearance by Reece Green was flicked on to Ryan Brooks by Dan Bone, only to see his first-time effort fly narrowly wide.

It came as no surprise when in the 40th minute following a goalmouth scramble ace predator Michael Hicks was on hand to net goal number 3.

On the stroke of half time Kennington were given a gilt-edged opportunity to reduce the

arrears but Crosson’s poor effort didn’t trouble Reece Green in the Hallions goal.

HT 3-0

The early stages of the half seemed to replicate the first half with the visitors holding the upper hand. The speedy Matty Crosson was causing a few problems, but luckily for the home side final touch was failing him.

Gradually normal service was resumed with both Wayne Blossom and Stu Bridges dictating the game, although that cutting edge was missing.

In the 58th minute only a last-ditch tackle by a Kennington defender stopped Dan Bone in full flight as he homed in on goal. Regretfully this was boney last involvement as he was forced off with an ankle injury.

Ten minutes later and both goals had miracle escapes, firstly Green somehow stopped a Josh Nicholls goal bound strike, then from the counterattack Ryan Brooks struck the Kennington upright with the keeper beaten.

Late in the half the lanky Rob Cattell hit the post/crossbar before Louis Palfrey wasted another opportunity.

The game ended with the Hallions gaining 3 valuable points against a hard-working Kennington team, although to be fair without producing their usual standard of performance.

FT 3-0

Official: Jonathon Livingstone

MOM:  Stuart Bridges

Hallions Team: Reece Green. Callum Tighe. Wayne Blossom. Jack Finlinson. Sam Graham.

Michael Hicks.Stuart Bridges [Capt.].  Piers McGlynn. Jamie Mundy.Ryan Brooks.Dan Bone.

Subs Played –Keelan Cronin. Dan Smith

Scorers: Jamie Mundy. Piers McGlyyn.Michael Hicks.


Kennington Team: Matty Hutton. Simon Joyce. Steve Woodhouse. Kyle Rawlins. Rob Cattell. Stu Cattell.

James Smith [Capt]Tom Nicholls. Josh Nicholls. Matty Crosson. Owen Armstrong.

Subs Played: Ben Rawlings. Louis Palfrey. Jack Clarkson.


Share Now

Related Post