Match Report – Saturday 25th September Yarnton v Hallions




Despite missing a number of regular players once again, the hallions were boosted by the return of some vital players including the seasons debuts for both Tai Thomas and new signing Dan Fraser.

On a very humid afternoon it was Yarnton who quickly got into their stride on a perfect playing surface. The tricky James Bateman fired in a dangerous free kick in the 2nd minute, but the alert Stu Bridges saved the situation at the expense of a corner, which Reece Green comfortably dealt with.

Gradually the Hallions game plan started to reap its reward with both Stu Bridges and Jamie Mundy taking control of the midfield area. In the 12th minute Tai Thomas headed across the edge of the home team’s penalty area finding Dan Smith whose first-time effort flashed narrowly wide.

Minutes later and a poor defensive clearance by the Hallions fell to Yarnton’

s Bateman, but his effort lacked direction as it sailed well wide of the goal.

In 20th minute it looked as if the deadlock had been broken when a tremendous 50-yard cross field ball from Stu Bridges saw Dan Bone leave his marker stranded before firing an unstoppable shot past Yarnton keeper Steven Dennett, but alas it was disallowed for offside!

Buoyed by their let off Yarnton immediately countered, and striker Harry Ackland netted to give the home team the lead.

With 60 seconds and the Hallions bounced back with Dan Bone causing more havoc in the Yarnton penalty area, before setting up Dan Smith who calmly equalised.

As the half progressed Boney was causing untold problems for the home defence as the Hallions went in search of that second goal.

Home keeper Dennett produced a number of smart saves to foil both Dan Smith and Stu Bridges.

However, in the 35th minute another Stu Bridges effort was deflected for a corner by defender Jack Welford, and a trademark Jamie Mundy corner kick was met by the head of Dan Bone resulting in the ball flashing past Dennett into the net to give the Hallions the lead.

On the stroke of half time James Bateman had a long-range effort which Reece Green comfortably saved.

HT 1-2

After extended half time [Tea must have been too hot] the second half eventually started with Boney still looking to lead the Hallions forward progression.

In the 56th minute Lewis Bland nearly caught Dennett out with a hopeful effort from his own, but the back pedalling about held his balance on the goal line.

Then in the 65th minute quality inter play between Stu Bridges and Dan Smith set up the onrushing Tai Thomas who outwitted the home defence with fine ball to Jamie Mundy who calmly slotted home past the beaten Dennett.

With resources rather limited the Hallions replaced Carl Ellis with Matt Jenkins, who despite carrying an injury never shirked his responsibility.

In the 70th minute a rocket strike from Yarntons Dale Stevens flew inches wide as the home team looked to reduce the deficit.

Minutes later and the speedy Josh Lewington looked to have suffered a nasty injury, but thankfully he recovered and was able to continue.

In the 83rd minute two brilliant saves from Hallions Reece Green stopped Jack Robson and Carlos Abreu from scoring attempts.

Late in the game Stu Bridges saw another effort fly narrowly wide, before Yarnton’s Declan Witcher had a fierce free kick blocked by the Hallions defensive wall.

Final whistle sounded with the Hallions gaining three valuable points against extremely useful Yarnton team.

FT 1-3

Official: Johnathan Boyce

MOM:  Dan Bone

Hallions Team: Reece Green. Dan Fraser. Carl Ellis. Chris Schooling. Dan Bone.

Jamie Mundy. Michael Hicks.Stuart Bridges [Capt.]. Dan Smith. Lewis Bland. Tai Thomas.

Subs Played: Piers McGlynn. Matt Jenkins.

Scorers: Dan Smith. Dan Bone. Jamie Mundy.


Yarnton Team: Steven Dennett. Carlos Abrue.Tom Wynn. Dale Stevens [Capt.]. Declan Witcher. Jack Welford. James Bateman. Charlie Fegan. Harry Ackland.Matthew Spooner. Jack Robson.

Subs Played: Josh Lewington. Kieron Oliver. Jacob Haines.

Scorer: Harry Ackland.

Share Now

Related Post